Help decide the future of the Gardiner Expressway East
We invite you to join us at two upcoming public meetings where you can comment on the current phase of the Environmental Assessment on the future of the Gardiner Expressway East.
Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto are jointly carrying out the Gardiner Expressway / Lake Shore Boulevard Reconfiguration Environmental Assessment (EA) and Integrated Urban Design Study. The EA will determine the future of the Gardiner Expressway East and Lake Shore Boulevard East, from approximately Jarvis Street to approximately Leslie Street. The study area for the EA is displayed on the map below.
The four alternative solutions that have been considered to date are:
- Maintain the elevated expressway;
- Improve the urban fabric while maintaining the existing expressway;
- Replace with a new above-or-below grade expressway; and
- Remove the elevated expressway and build a new boulevard.
In the last phase of the EA, the evaluation of the alternative solutions concluded that the remove option best met the evaluation criteria. Following direction from the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee of Toronto City Council. the upcoming public meeting will share the results of the following work:
1. Review the remove option under the EA process to mitigate concerns about traffic congestions
2. Prepare an additional hybrid option that combines the maintain and replace components to preserve expressway linkage and functionality between the Gardiner Expressway and the Don Valley Parkway, and evaluate it against the EA criteria and the following:
- Transportation functionality;
- Impacts on key economic sectors;
- Cost benefit;
- Future land use considerations;
- Public transit components:
- Environmental impact;
- Neighbourhood growth and compatibility.
Interested persons are invited to participate through two upcoming public meetings, one of which will be webcast, and online opportunities. If you can't attend in person, you can participate and watch the meeting online - and at any time afterwards - at www.gardinereast.ca.
Gardiner Expressway East Public Meeting (Downtown)
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Bram & Bluma Appel Salon, Toronto Reference Library
789 Yonge Street, Toronto (Bloor Street subway station)
Open house begins at 6:30 p.m.; presentations at 7:00 p.m.
For more information or to be added to the project mailing list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (416) 479-0662.